Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Willy Beamish MIDI Soundtrack news- my latest stuff  (Read 5731 times)
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2004, 09:00:05 AM »

Exams finished last Saturday. Whew Smiley

I've had 2 weeks holiday in the last 6 months, and obviously haven't released much publically (other than the LB2 MT MIDI score to this site).

But- today I can say work is almost done on the complete "Adventures of Willy Beamish" Roland MT-32 MIDI soundtrack. I've got about 10-15 themes to add, and we're at over 2 hours of music already (approx. 85 tracks in total, 2:40 by the end I think it will be).. Sceptics please note that there's lots of sound effects through the score (lots of cool effects in WB!), but NO tracks actually devoted to sound effects wholely. The MIDI score will be the basis for a largely MT-32 soundtrack CD (triple CD :O) with either no 3rd CD and no SC at all, the 3rd CD being Sound Canvas bonus tracks or the Sound Canvas tracks scattered throughout the 3 CD's. Management decision needed there. Smiley

But it's well on the way. In terms of Gabriel Knight, I delibarately sidelined it for the last few months to save my Uni career. And now, I'm investigating whether it's worth redoing some of the tracks I made in late June with a real SC-55 as opposed to the 55 tones of my ED SC-8850 (I'm trying to get my real 55 repaired this week). It's another project right up there to be completed. The work I did on it was quite good, even though I do say so myself.. but a lot of tracks have too much reverb, owing me not knowing about Hall 1 yet wanting to use it (it has a tendency to 'saturate' tracks). So that needs to be cleared up.

Enough talk. More action required.
For WB- after I finish the MT MIDI, I think Tom has designs for a GM conversion potentially.. I will attempt a GS conversion myself (fun challenge, and useful for my soundtrack CD).

Regards, take care everyone.
- Alistair
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 11:09:17 AM »

So, do you have any links to give us?

I feel like I'm diagonally-parked in a parallel universe
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 01:00:27 PM »

To quote myself:

But- today I can say work is almost done on the complete "Adventures of Willy Beamish" Roland MT-32 MIDI soundtrack. I've got about 10-15 themes to add

Still gotta add the last 30 mins to this never-ending piece of work. I'll send you and/or Tom an email sometime this week, hopefully. Tomorrow I'm going out and so probably won't get much done. But I'd like to think I'll have the MIDI burned onto CD to test for myself in the next two-three days, and then get back to you folks within 5 days.

In terms of GK, it depends on what happens with my SC-55. My work with the ED SC-55 tones is certainly good enough. If anything the ED tones sound better for this score, owing to its' nature. But that's another story. At worst, I'd say within the month for OGG's of GK1. But that's an estimate (all I can give)- could be in next 2 weeks, could be in next 6.

I will say this, Ari- for the Adventures of Willy Beamish MIDI soundtrack, there's a lot of rock music. Get those dancing shoes ready, you'll be tapping away (and/or thrashing your head wildly) even if you are sitting with headphones at your PC. Some great alternative and miscellaneous stuff as well.. I feel I covered the game well.
Some files I extracted I couldn't recognise as well. It's a very huge game, and the 'choose your own adventure' style means you won't see everything in the game... but I doubt anyone can help. Tongue I wonder if Tim Clarke would know anything..

Shutting up now for the night, shop and mouth. Cheers.

- Alistair
BlueMax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 01:44:20 PM »

WILLY!!   Now there was a game with some great music!

AAAAAAAAUUGHH!!!! - Charlie Brown
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 10:45:32 PM »

Right on, B-man. Smiley A million great memories from this game.

About 50 great musical memories, too.. so much good stuff.

I still maintain that this was the best soundtrack ever composed for the Roland MT-32. I don't get much backing on that one, but I stand firm. Smiley
(The custom instruments and sound effects totally rule.)

I couldn't be bothered putting individual touches like reverb changes for each file, since there's little point. Now I'm toying with the idea of icnreasing master reverb to 6, or not doing anything reverb-wise at all.. which'll probably happen.
Other individual touches like pan alterations will be everywhere. Smiley

A new day beckons. Take care all, I'll keep you posted..

- Alistair
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 01:28:11 PM »

Got a lot done today. 4 MIDI's to add left!

2 hours 21 so far. But the last 3 of those 4 tracks are closing drama and finale type pieces, and fairly long (well, multiple themes in the individual MIDI) so I'd say there'll be about another 6-10 minutes. Which means the soundtrack will be finished tomorrow. *However*- I'll be beta testing it on CD before it's released. But I'm fairly confident I can release it here around Monday (Sunday all you folks' time).

- Alistair
Cloudschatze
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 02:29:36 PM »

Not to stray from the topic entirely, but has anyone yet discovered a way to have music playback through the MT-32 with the CD-ROM version of Willy Beamish?
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 11:57:14 PM »

I was thinking about it the other day. It MUST be possible, maybe with the SEGA CD-Rom, because there's MT-32 MIDI files in the SEGA CD data!

Anyway.. I'll get back to you, everyone keep posting suggestions, please.

- Alistair
Zemus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 01:03:23 AM »

Sure they were MT-32 MIDI data? I tried a few on my MT-32 and they sounded really bad. My guess was that they were for the Sega's synth.
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 01:50:04 AM »

I'm interested primarily in the MT-32 MIDI files.  Can I get them from you?

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 06:13:41 AM »

By the way, Tom- I didn't mean I'd be releasing a CD soon. Smiley I meant I'll be testing the MIDI score on CD first. Unlike LB2MT.MID, where I did it the other way around (the *wrong* way round, I might add).
(I should probably update that MIDI score sometime..)

Anyways. Firstly, Zemus: Now. I know there were some SEGA files floating around that weren't quite MT-32 files, they played back wrongly. But I'm fairly sure the ones I referred to are for the MT. I'll get back to ya. Smiley (You're probably right though..)

I finished the whole long MIDI (approx 150 minutes!) today, after I voted in our elections for the first time. Smiley

So, Tom, I'll be sending you an email shortly-ish (next day or two) with the looong MIDI file, zipped with TXT/DOC track sheets and the instrument SysEx.

Regards,
- Alistair
Zemus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 08:23:08 AM »

Well, I got them from Creative's copy of the game so the MIDIs weren't from the internet.
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 12:20:49 PM »

Thanks.  I'm really looking forward to it!

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 09:54:16 AM »

Burned to CD's today.. heard about 55 minutes on my stereo (for QA) so far. A certain instrument, 'BumpBass', is the main offender in terms of me having to redo tracks. It's this weird bass.. it gets too loud and just drowns other custom instruments especially. One or two other minor changes. But nothing radical.. all fairly good. Hopefully I've QA'ed it all by tomorrow night.

- Alistair
crouton45
Associate Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »

Six or seven years later... did anything ever come of this, Ali? I was thinking about WB today and remember some fantastic music.
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:57 AM »

Way to necro a thread Wink Just kidding, actually, it's crazy that this was 7 years ago..

Crouton- this is someone I know under a different online handle, right? Or not? Either way, let me know.

OK, Willy. The deal is that this is, bar none, the most difficult Sierra/Dynamix soundtrack to work with. in order:
1. It's the longest Sierra soundtrack I know of.
2. It has a lot of very odd/different MT-32 instruments that are very difficult to convert to General MIDI/GS/XG- it can be done, but because it's more challenging than a 1:1 remap of a french horn, or drums (there are even some drum pieces that need to be changed!), it takes a lot more time per track to enhance them for a digital CD version.

Those are the main reasons I've never gotten around to tackling it, there have been a few times I've intended to work on a MT-32 only CD version, but I guess I never really loved the idea (a lot of work for something a lot of people have already heard, especially with the MT-32 softsynth out).

Some minor ones would be working now, moving countries, having a lot of sound equipment problems 'back in the day' (i.e. when I recorded this MIDI soundtrack when this thread started, and not being able to record a good quality CD then).

Anyway. It's in my 'on hold' folder in my SMC MIDI soundtrack archives, which roughly translates to "will get around to it someday, but not anytime real soon".

By the way, are you a real Willy Beamish expert? i need someone to tell me where the music in the archives is from, the one or two pieces I didn't include in the MIDi soundtrack (I think there are a couple, anyway). There's 121 unique pieces in the game's resources :O
(Compare to 75-80 in KQ6)

Who knows, maybe you'll inspire me Smiley Feel free to bug me over at my website's forums, too.

- Alistair
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:42:23 AM by Alistair » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: