Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dune 2 (MIDI Music and Voice together!)  (Read 14401 times)
robertmo

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2005, 04:23:45 PM »

You just need to use this new setup.exe (only this one file is needed after unpacking).

http://ftp.games.skynet.be/pub/ftp.westwood.com/dune2/updates/d2sound.exe

It allows you to configure music, sound effects and speech speparately! So you can play this great game with MT-32 or Sound Canvas music together with Sound Blaster speech! Cheesy
DrJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 01:48:57 PM »

Cool will definitely try this later.. Thanks for the link..
Ghost_Rider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:19:15 PM »

I'm going to try this out too!  I was cleaning up again and found a couple of games, including Dune 2.  So I'll check this out once I get the game installed.
WildmanCAL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:14:28 AM »

I so remember that game.  Didn't think much of it at first but then the addication kicked in and I had to play, play, play!  It was an absolutely fun game!
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:35:31 AM »

Hey, that's great! I always thought it was kind of sad that you can't play Roland music and have SB sound effects at the same time.

I feel like I'm diagonally-parked in a parallel universe
Ghost_Rider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 02:14:46 PM »

Quote from: WildmanCAL
I so remember that game.  Didn't think much of it at first but then the addication kicked in and I had to play, play, play!  It was an absolutely fun game!

For sure, I remember being up way too late on more than a few occasions!   Smiley   The three tribes are unique enough that it makes you want to try to play through with each one.  I remember the sonic wave tanks were really cool, except that if an enemy gets in between two of them, they blow each other up.
Laust

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 09:02:46 PM »

Hmm. I never had any problems combining SB effects with MIDI music (a must if you want to record the music too - or you'll get effects in your MIDI). This was the "CD" version (which came free with "Command & Conquer: Commemorative Edition").

The game was great back then, but the interface is really beginning to show its age. In particular, the lack of grouping/selection of several units at once is very annoying.
Ghost_Rider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 03:04:14 AM »

Quote from: Laust
The game was great back then, but the interface is really beginning to show its age. In particular, the lack of grouping/selection of several units at once is very annoying.

Yep, you said it.  I've been playing Dune 2 quite a bit today, and I'm finding the fact that I can only command one unit at a time very annoying indeed.  When you get into battle, it becomes a clicking frenzy trying to get all your units to engage.  The computer of course can command all of it's units simultaneously.

The later games from Westwood, like Command & Conquer, and Blizzard games like Warcraft I, and later Warcraft II, were much better for that.
robertmo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 06:32:57 AM »

That's why i always use keyboard to help me:
1. You click your unit.
2. Press "a" for attack with your other hand.
3. Click enemy unit.
Less clicking and you don't have to move the mouse over the whole screen to the menu and back.
Ghost_Rider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 03:10:57 PM »

Cool, thanks!  That makes it much easier.
IronForge
Associate Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 09:05:17 PM »

Good find.  I actually just started to go back through this game.  Originally I had a sound blaster so did not get the music.  Now with MT-32 I get music but not the voice/etc.  I have noticed this same thing occur on other older games that did not let you select music and voice components seperatly.
BlueMax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 02:40:59 AM »

I played this game as "Dune 2000" which was the same game, but updated.  Full-motion-video sequences, improved graphics, grouping.  It was fun!

AAAAAAAAUUGHH!!!! - Charlie Brown
IronForge
Associate Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »

I never played dune 2000.  Did they change the musical score any or just update the GUI?
BlueMax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 06:05:24 AM »

It wasn't MIDI music - all digital.  I never played the original and long since lost the CD's.   Embarrassed

AAAAAAAAUUGHH!!!! - Charlie Brown
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »

I never played dune 2000.  Did they change the musical score any or just update the GUI?
The musical score, as Bluemax stated is all digital, but the score itself is very similar to the original Dune2 score in terms of melody and so on.

I can post an example if you like.

TheMAN

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 02:05:55 AM »

awesome! thanks!
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »

As that for me? or regarding the original question?  Smiley

Laust

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 11:06:35 AM »

All the music from Dune 2000 is streamable from the jukebox at Frank Klepacki's website.
mace

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »

Sorry to dig this old topic up, it's almost a year old.
But I was wondering if anything like this was available for legend of kyrandia, it's also westwood and the setup program is similar, if not exactly alike.
It will not let me choose both MT-32 for music and SB pro for sound, just one or the other.

Or can I copy the dune config file?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:47:49 PM by mace » Logged

Using in/on my rig now:
MT-32 first gen, CM-64, SC-155, NEC DB60XG, Yamaha FB-01, AWE64 Gold, MPU-IPC-T
robertmo

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »

There are two options I know:

1. Legend of Kyrandia CD version have a setup that allows you to choose different cards for voice, sfx and music.

2. As far as I remember I was able to change kyrandia's setup using a hex editor. I did it this way: First you save different config files with dune 2 and you look what is changing with hex viewer. Later you do the same with kyrandia's config files. This way you will find out where the changes are saved, and what are their values. It is very easy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: