hey guys, i recently found my cd version of gk1 and was so excited to play it. however naturally it didn't work. so i did some research and found out i could play it using this program "dosbox" so i downloaded it. i found this place that gave instructions on how to play the game. they went as folows::
Step 1 - Prepare Game Files
You only need to do the following once:
1. Create a new folder in the root director of your hard-drive, and name it "GKCD" (without the quotes).
2. Insert your GK1 CD and copy the ENTIRE contents of the disc to the C:\GKCD folder you just created. You can remove the CD after this - you won't need it to play
3. In C:\GKCD, find the file called "RESOURCE.CFG" - open this with Notepad (right click ---> Open ---> Select the program from a list).
4. Replace the text in this file with the following:
videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = MT32.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
mouseDrv = STDMOUSE.DRV
memoryDrv = ARM.DRV
5. Save and close the file. Step 1 almost done!
6. Last, download and install the latest version of DOSBox: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
Step 2 - Run with DOSBox
These steps must be done every time you want to play the game:
1. Set CPU Cycles - Start DOSBox. Press CTRL+F12 seven times, so that CPU cycles is set to 6440 (this is displayed in the program's title bar).
2. Mount the Drive - Type the following to mount your drive:
mount C C:\
3. Start the Game - Now it's like running anything from DOS. Just type the following:
Press enter to change drives, then type:
Press enter to change directories. Finally, type:
Press enter to start the game. It may take up to a minute for the Sierra logo to appear.
4.Use ALT+ENTER to switch to full-screen. The game may not perform correctly in a window!
That's it. If you have any questions about the last few steps, check out the image below. Enjoy the game!
Some Additional Info
From Rikard Peterson:
Note that step 2 "These steps must be done every time you want to play the game" can be simplified. You can put settings in a .conf file. By default, Dosbox uses dosbox.conf in the dosbox folder. There you can change these settings to match the instructions:
and add in the [autoexec] section:
mount C C:\
Then all you have to do after starting Dosbox, is to type:
If you want it even easier, you can of course take a copy of the .conf file, add those two lines too in the autoexec section, copy the shortcut that starts Dosbox and change which .conf file it uses. Then you get a Gabriel Knight shortcut!
this was great info and all but when i play the game the audio skips and it is literally imposible to bear with. does anyone have some better suggestions (or suggestions in general) to get the game to run nicely?