Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And the winner is...  (Read 3048 times)
shad0wfax
« on: November 24, 2005, 07:24:36 PM »

Hi everyone,

It seems that KQ VI has finally won the poll, so it's time to begin the conversion...

It's the longest soundtrack of all the candidates, so there's a loooooong way to go...  :roll:
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 08:55:46 PM »

Any chance of hearing them before you finish everything?  :wink:

I feel like I'm diagonally-parked in a parallel universe
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 05:02:33 AM »

Yeah, I think there's merit in posting the first half once it's done.

- Alistair
shad0wfax
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 09:28:13 AM »

Yes, no problem on uploading themes from time to time, as work progresses.
Prince Galahad
Associate Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:47:34 AM »

im kinda music stupid, but what exactly is Fantom XR, and what will make it sound differant from OGG Vorbis or Roland MT-32 or even MP3?

"YOU SPOONY BARD!" - Tellah
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 08:00:21 AM »

Well, for starters, MP3 and Ogg Vorbis are both file formats like WAV or CDA (Audio CD) they're just compressed recordings of audio in the same way the a CD track is a recording of an actual performance of a song, only about 11 times more efficient (depending on the quality you choose to encode them at) than regular audio recordings.

The MT-32 and Fantom XR are the performers (if we continue the analogy). They are both synthesizers which use different technologies and have different sounds. The XR is a relatively new synth, and has (depending on who you ask  :wink: ) superior sounds and effects to the MT-32, but given that the MT-32 is an 18-year-old synth, it's still quite impressive, and still sounds better than your average Sound Blaster card - In my opinion at least.

Tom has been working with the MT-32 for years and most of his recordings (MP3 and OGG) of Sierra soundtracks have been done with the MT-32 or a combination of the MT-32 and other synthesizers.
The Fantom XR is the newest addition to our little family of Sierra music lovers (Shad0wfax, welcome to the family  :wink: ) and as such, we would really like to hear how Sierra games sound through it.
Up until now, it's been very impressive.

If you want to hear the difference between the various synthesizers used to record Sierra music, I suggest you try here.

I hope this makes things a little more clear.  Smiley

shad0wfax
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 08:36:12 AM »

Great explanation, Ari! Smiley

MT-32, Sound Canvas (such as SC-55), Fantom XR, Yamaha DB50XG, Sound Blaster, etc. are "musical instruments". Each one has its own sonic characteristics. WAV, OGG, MP3, etc. are different audio formats, more or less as "different ways of recording the audio output", with different quality levels. The audio format can have influence in the final audio quality (it's like listening a song on a CD player or on a cassette player; the quality is different although the music itself is the same).
Prince Galahad
Associate Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 01:20:02 AM »

ahh, i see, thank you for the explanation Cheesy

KQ6 outta be pretty good , i look forward to the results Cheesy

"YOU SPOONY BARD!" - Tellah
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »

There's already one theme that has been uploaded. Check out the News & Information forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: