Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roland SC-D70 users  (Read 2192 times)
Bevil

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2006, 04:50:23 AM »

Just got a used Roland SC-D70 at a very good bargain. It is a fine unit and all, but unfortunately, there isn't any way to change the soundmaps via hardware (like in the case of the 8820 and 8850).

So, I wrote a utility program in Java that sends the sysex messages to perform the sound map change with ease . You can get it  here . Its very easy to use. Simply select the midi output device, the respective sound map and click on the change button.

This program however, requires the java runtime environment which can be downloaded here
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »

Bevil, would you mind if I placed this little utility for download on my Utilities Page?  And, would you like your real name credited.  Looks like a nifty utility!

Bevil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »

Thanks Tom, I myself was intending to ask if you could host it on this site. My message board nick will be fine for the credit.  Smiley
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:06:02 PM »

It's posted now, on the Sierra/MIDI Utilities page.  Thanks.

Just curious -- should it also work with the SC-8820/8850?  Or does the SysEx restrict it to controlling only the SC-D70?

Bevil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 02:28:10 PM »

I can't say for sure since I have no access to the 8820 and 8850 modules. But, I believe the sysex commands should work for these modules, since the internal tone generator of the D70 is the same as that of the 8820.
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 03:49:52 PM »

I'll do some checking when I have time.  Seems it should work fine on these other modules; though I did notice when I tried it briefly on the 8850 (just to see what the utility looked like), the map indicator didn't change after using the SysEx to enable a different sound map.  That doesn't mean that the correct map wouldn't have played...just that the indicator didn't change.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: