Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silpheed  (Read 13477 times)
haradan

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:02:02 PM »

Actually, more than a soundtrack request, I'm hoping someone can give me a cheat. I'm currently trying to record the Silpheed soundtrack, but I'm terrible at shooters so I can't get far in the game. I tried using some internet cheat involving hex editing, but it didn't work.

Does anyone knows an easy way of finishing Silpheed?

Unless I cheat, I doubt I can finish the game/record the complete soundtrack, so if that would be the case, then I do request Queststudios to produce this interesting soundtrack some day.
Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:38:39 PM »

haradan,

Unfortunately, I do not have any tricks for hacking Silpheed.  But hopefully the information below will assist you.

Silpheed's soundtrack is actually pretty short.  There are a few songs that are used on multiple levels.  There are twelve distinct pieces of music.

Tom has recorded about HALF of the PC Silpheed songs in MIDI format, with the MT-32 embedded SysEx commands.  With the appropriate utility, you can play these MIDI files directly to your MT-32 and record the digital output of those pieces on your computer.  This should save you some work.

Here is the link to the MIDI files Tom has already provided.  See notes below.  http://www.queststudios.com/quest/silpheed.html

Here is a link to a track that Tom does not have listed on the Silpheed page (I don't know why):
http://www.queststudios.com/mt32midi/silp_6.zip

For recordings of the original PC-88 Silpheed music, and the correct track names, you should visit:
http://igasaki.ddo.jp:8080/~iga/silpheed/
(The text in the table seems to render as the same color as the background, so you may need to highlight the table to see the text.)

Code:
MIDIFile  Tom's Name                   Actual Name  
--------  --------------------------   ----------------------------------------------
silp_1    Introduction/Opening Theme   The Legend of Silpheed (silph_11.mp3)
silp_2    Fighting in Normal Space     Silf of Wind I (silph_00.mp3)
N/A                                    Silf of Wind II (silph_01.mp3)
silp_3    Attacking The Enemy Base     Going in Fortress (silph_03.mp3)
silp_4    Closing Theme                Little Moments Peace (silph_10.mp3)
silp_5*   Gloire - The Big Boss        Return of XACALITE (silph_09.mp3) [Final boss]
silp_6    Area 6 Score                 Asteroid (silph_05.mp3)        
silp_7    Battle Over The Moon         Battle on Orbit (silph_02.mp3)
N/A                                    Double Star (silph_06.mp3) [Interlude]
N/A                                    Landing Base (silph_04.mp3) [Interlude]
N/A                                    King Jupiter (silph_08.mp3) [Interlude]
N/A                                    Battlestar OLLEYUS (silph_07.mp3) [Boss music]

* The MIDI of the final boss battle piece is truncated; apparently, Tom didn't live long enough to record the entire piece!  That's unfortunate, because it gets really interesting after the point where it fades out.

PS:  If you follow a couple of links from that earlier Japanese web page, you'll also find this:  http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~syu-yu/fhp/midi.htm  <-- includes MIDIs from Silpheed, Thexder II: FireHawk, and Zeliard, among other titles.  Included are MIDI files arranged for the XG, SC-88, and SC-88 Pro MIDI devices. Smiley  Those are some files I'd like to hear recorded in digital too, with the right hardware (Hint Hint to anyone reading this.)
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:23:13 AM »

Hey Marten,

If you're interested, I have the Silpheed official soundtrack CD made by GameArts in MP3 format. It sounds way better than the original MIDI soundtrack, IMO.

Regards,
- Alistair
NewRisingSUn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 07:40:08 AM »

Are those just recordings from the PC-88, or have they been rearranged? If the latter, I'd be interested in those MP3s as well.
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:46:47 AM »

Hey NRS,

Good to see you, man. How the hell are you?

On Silpheed- I'm pretty sure it's not just the original PC-88 audio, because I think one of the tracks has in brackets (PC-88 version).

Can't check because it's on the laptop, not this PC. Will get back to you.

Here's a link to a page about the CD:
http://www.chudahs-corner.com/soundtracks/index.php?catalog=TYCY-5338

That's definitely the CD I have, in I think 192 kbps MP3 files.

Regards,
- Alistair
Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:24:22 PM »

Definitely interested.
BlueMax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 11:05:38 PM »

ZOWIE!!   I'm totally in!  Awesome!  I bought this game when it was brand new - it was awesome!

AAAAAAAAUUGHH!!!! - Charlie Brown
the_doctor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »

yes yes, wheres the DL link? Wink
haradan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 05:17:50 AM »

Thanks a lot, Marten and Alistair! I'd also love to hear those mp3  Cheesy
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 04:13:58 AM »

I'll upload the CD soon, it's going to be put on my website (unless GameArts C/D's me Smiley ).

I also want to put any other Silpheed tracks on there. Can someone please record the MT-32 soundtrack in high quality, or would it be easier for me to do it with Tom's MIDI files?

And, is anyone aware of any other Silpheed tracks? I have quite a few remixes that I'll put on the webpage as well, but I already know about them Wink .

Regards,
- Alistair
the_doctor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 05:04:58 AM »

did they use different music in different platforms?  I just got Silpheed for my SegaCD and the music for stage 1 sounds nothing like the stage 1 music for PC ... well, the game looks quite different too.
Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 05:37:25 AM »

Yes, SegaCD Silpheed is different.  That game actually takes place years later (pay attention to the year in the opening story).  And Silpheed: The Lost Planet (on PS2) takes place another generation later.  So it is really a trilogy.

I have never, ever heard a more teeth-grinding way to tell a person that they've lost than the "GAYME OHVAR!" voice in Sipheed CD.
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »

Oh, I don't know, I've heard some pretty bad ones. Wink

And, I was going to upload the SEGA CD music too, but it is different.

Additionally, I found a lot of awesome Silpheed remixes, both digital ones and MIDI ones (MIDI ones for SC-88 Pro and MU100!) so the tracks that go online will probably cover a CD and a bit.

- Alistair
BlueMax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »

Can't wait!  Cheesy

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »

I'm posting prematurely, but I'll say this- I recorded some Silpheed remixes tonight, and also have some MP3's, and they *blow the original MT-32 recordings out of the water*. Seriously. And that's not even counting the official GameArts tracks which are equally incredible. I freakin' love Japanese male teenagers who do nothing but remix game music in their spare time! It's even better with Sorcerian music, too. Cheesy

Anyway. I'll be setting up the soundtrack in the following way:
The tracks will have 3 versions each-
1. A MT-32 or other QuestStudios converted track (that is, a MT-32 recording from Tom's complete soundtrack, or a recording from one of Tom's converted soundtracks, GS or XG, if it's nicer, in some cases it is- the MT-32 closing theme sucks, for example)
2. A MIDI or digitally based remix (that is, people sometimes use tracker formats, but usually people use SC and XG MIDI's, sometimes to create MP3's, sometimes it's just the original MIDI. I'll record the MIDI's digitally either way).
3. An 'official' track from GameArts from their album, "Silpheed Official Game Music Sound".

Heh, there's more tracks on the official album than in the game. Guess I'll tack them on at the end, or something.

Additionally, if you want to help me purchase a copy of the other Silpheed remix CD that's out there (also has Thexder music), please let me know (it's not cheap, over 30 US bucks).

FINALLY- Fan remixes or MT-32 enhanced tracks from QuestStudios fans are of course welcome!

Regards,
- Alistair
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 09:24:23 AM »

Great! So, where can they be downloaded from?  Smiley

I feel like I'm diagonally-parked in a parallel universe
Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »

I would expect Alistair will post them at his website, which is listed in his profile Smiley  You're just two clicks away...
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 03:36:50 AM »

It's not ready, won't be for a spell (also have other priorities, in both music and life). Still, I've made a fair bit of progress.

Also, will have to restructure the CD a bit, since only the last 2 tracks on that Official album are from the PC version, the rest are SEGA CD.

Just bought another official album, though I think it's FM Synth (PC-88) based. If anyone wants to buy it from me in the not too distant future, contact me.

Regards,
- Alistair
BlueMax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 01:49:38 PM »

Man.... who can beat the original "Fighting in Normal Space"?  Cheesy

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 01:58:41 PM »

Fighting in Normal Space isn't it's real name of course, it's "Silph Of Wind".

And, actually, the best track I have so far is a Yamaha MU100 version of Silph of Wind. And it kicks the ass of the MT-32 Sierra version. Promise.

Of course, my WAV recording was from the MU100R you sold me. Smiley Sounds amazing. There's some talented Japanese 'doujin' game music MIDI/MP3 makers, that's for sure.

- Alistair
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: