Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE NEW SMF FORUM  (Read 8990 times)
Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 07:50:48 PM »

I don't want to disable signatures altogether.  I just want them to be... I don't know... well-mannered signatures.  Signatures that wouldn't cause Dear Abby to shake her finger and tsk-tsk.

Also, it's rather disappointing to hear that others might not see my signature, as I didn't write it there because I enjoy looking at it myself.  I want others to see it.  I don't think an option allowing people to disable signatures altogether makes much sense.  What's really necessary is to get people not to put giant, bloated images in their signatures.  If signatures aren't offensive and oversized, then there's no reason to turn them off.  Fix the problem, not the symptom, I say.

On the topic of avatars, for some reason, my own avatar now seems much larger than it should be, not just at the top of the page but next to posts as well.  I don't know if this is normal or not.  Tom's avatar seems about the right size, my avatar SHOULD be that size, but it has been zoomed and I don't know how to shrink it back to what it should be.  The board is forcing it to width="120" height="120" even though I've not told it to, and the actual image is only 80x80.

Maybe this is just a side effect of referencing a picture from another website.  There appears to be an option to upload the icon to this board, so I'll try that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:55:57 PM by Marten » Logged
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 07:52:54 PM »

All of these 'cosmetic chages' should come in time.  Smilies, for instance ... I plan to use the same set that was available on the old board.   I setup the board quickly and haven't yet done much with all of the available features.

Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »

OK, I "fixed" the avatar by uploading it instead of referring to the copy on my own website, but that's still a very annoying bug - that remote pictures are being set to 120x120.  Too big for my tastes.
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006, 02:03:38 AM »

<laughes> I'm not in a bad mood at all, Ari- if I criticised you over something I was completely wrong about, you'd be a little annoyed as well. I don't think I've provoked you either, if anything it's been the other way around. But since I'm not in a bad mood, I'll let it slide. ;P

Tom- I see you skim through threads as usual? Wink

On-topic, I totally agree with Marten's comments- I like viewing other people's sigs, but I hate massive ones, especially Boogeyman's.

Quick reply is also an awesome feature.

- Alistair
Rhizome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 07:27:43 AM »

Urgh!! I hate SMF to so many levels. The layout, the system etc - hate it all  Sad
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 09:18:06 AM »

I'm curious- which is people's *favourite* forum structure? I personally love phpBB.

Though, I think forums like this:
http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/

Are awesome. You can see the myriad of useful features and possibilities at the GF forums.

- Alistair
shad0wfax
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »

Hi!

I've been a few days out and when connecting again to QS, I've been quite "shocked" by the new forum format and appareance...   Huh I found it a bit confusing at first, being used to the old format, but it's quite cool-looking and more up-to-date. I have to find out all the new features, though.

See you!
Rhizome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 12:48:13 PM »

I'm curious- which is people's *favourite* forum structure? I personally love phpBB.

My favourite would be vBulletin.
kreatorb

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »

I liked the other one better - this one is a bit bright and overwhelming for me.  A bit cluttered also.

But yeah perhaps I'll grow into it.
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 02:09:35 PM »

I'm still trying to learn how to manipulate images and layout for this system, so be patient with me as I mess up things over the next few days.  This is a lot different than phpBB.  I still haven't found a reference to any background image placeholder, but I'm determined...

Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 12:05:40 AM »

Even if there isn't a base background image, if there's a base CSS file, you can probably hack it in there.
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 01:24:07 AM »

Yeah, there's an in-program style sheet I've been working with.  (That is, you can edit the CSS from within the Admin panel.)  I'm lousy with colors, so when Dianne has some time, we're going to tackle all the current color scheme.

Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 06:54:13 PM »

Colors are becoming a little more like the old board. Nice work, Tom (Dianne?).

I feel like I'm diagonally-parked in a parallel universe
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2006, 12:53:50 AM »

Thanks.  I've been wingin' it so far.  I haven't been able to find everything that needs changing in the style sheet.  But ever hopeful, I drudge on...   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:59:41 AM by Tom » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: