Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King's Quest IV - MIDI tracks don't properly stop  (Read 9276 times)
BlueMax

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 08:37:57 PM »

I remember this problem from way-back-when.  KQ4 would play extra MIDI notes on the CM-64's extra channels (11-16) which would tend to get stuck.  I never thought of your solution - instead, I would just load a more modern Sierra game first, that would actually MUTE those channels completely.  With 11-16 muted, KQ4 would work properly.  Smiley

AAAAAAAAUUGHH!!!! - Charlie Brown
HondaSiR

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 12:45:02 AM »

OK, that's twice "VOGONS" has been mentioned.  What is it?

VOGONS stands for Very Old Games On New Systems. It's basically a forum about how to get older games to run on newer computers. Check out their site here. They even have a special section devoted to the MT-32.  Smiley
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 03:08:52 AM »

(Yeah, but with respect Marten, who's downloading ripped/downloaded 90's versions of diskette games now? If you want to be semantic-y, fine, it's 'very probable' that there wouldn't be files missing with diskette rips.

VOGONS is a reference to the fleet from Hitchhiker's Guide of the same name. The forum is basically where DOSBox, VDM Sound, the MT-32 emulation project, et al. came from.

- Alistair)
Sedryn

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 05:13:09 AM »

That brings me to another question.  Does anybody have a list of which games that actually utilize the extra sounds from the CM-32L / CM-64?  Perhaps that should be in another thread?  The information would be useful.  If I had a list, I would use the MT-32 for all the games that don't utilize the additional sounds in the CM-32L / CM-64.

Here are the games that I know so far that support the extra sound effects of the CM-32L/CM-64/CM-500/LAPC-I. Info taken from VOGONS:

Hook
Lure of the Temptress
Curse of Enchantia
Laser Squad
Ultima Underworld 1
Starlord
Beneath A Steel Sky
Megatraveller 2
Out of This World (DOS version)
Leisure Suit Larry 5
ATAC
Die Hard 2
Gods (Bitmap Brothers)
Elite Plus (great SFX!)
EPIC
Line Wars II
Pirates! Gold
Heimdall
Night Breed
Night Breed: Interactive Movie
Terminator 2: Judgement Days
Cadaver: Payoff
Pushover
Robocop 3
Elf

Thanks, HondaSiR, this is exactly what I was looking for.  I just want to know which games take advantage of the extra sounds.

Air, thanks anyway for the interesting tidbit of knowledge on the CM-64.  I figured that since the CM-64 is something of a novelty joining of CM-32L and CM-32P that no games were written to take advantage of the CM-32P part of the CM-64.  Still, I know very little about all this stuff so any information on the subject is always a boon for me.

Doesn't look like many games took advantage of the extra CM-32L sounds.  I'm sure some games did that aren't on that list, but probably not too many.  Looks like I'll be able to use my MT-32 for most games.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: