Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Website nits  (Read 6239 times)
Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »

Assorted fixes and touchups for the website... I'm adding to the list as I discover items.

1. I noticed on "http://www.queststudios.com/sierra/sierra1.html" that Pharkas is spelled "Parkas."
Freddy Parkas, Frontier Rain-gear.
 Grin

2. Also on the same page, "Quest For GLory 3", the L should be lowercase.

3. Also on the same page, the link for Larry 7 should go to "http://www.allowe.com/Larry/musicdownload.htm#Larry7" (add the #Larry7).

4. The KQ2 digital soundtrack page mentions, "UPDATE (Fall 2007):  The KQ2VGA soundtrack is currently in the process of being updated to high quality MP3 format, and will now feature complete (non-looping) song files. Check this page from time to time for updated files."  I'm curious about the status of this.  Also, the page title element (which appears in the browser window title) mentions "Tierra Entertainment."

5. On the first of the miscellaneous mp3 pages, the entry for "Tulane University" from Colonel's Bequest shows an Ogg Vorbis format, but the link goes to an MP3.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:08:37 AM by Marten » Logged
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »

Thanks, Martin.  I've updated everything you've listed except for the KQ2 soundtrack page.  I need to completely redo this one -- I wanted to get rid of the 'frames' format.  I started on it a while back but still have more to do.

Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »

Thanks, Tom.

If you noticed a little bandwidth hit last night, that was me - I downloaded quite a bit.  I'm re-working my audio file library and decided the easiest option, in the case of your soundtracks, was to fetch them from the QS site (because the track name tags are usually already in the files).

Cool

Can you believe that I *hadn't* previously downloaded the full Colonel's Bequest soundtrack from your site?  Listened to it last night.  Beautiful.
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »

I recently listened to both the CB and Dagger soundtracks -- had forgotten how much I enjoyed them; sure brings back some wonderful memories, too.

Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:47 PM »

Yep. Smiley

Say Tom, have you ever considered reworking the website to use a database?  If you organized all of the information about the files in a consistent format, and put the data into a database, the site could be designed to automatically create many of the necessary pages for you.  You wouldn't have to hand-edit individual pages anymore for most of the site, and you could automate some tasks (such as displaying the correct icon, either ogg or mp3).

It could be a lot of work to set up a database, but then the site would be easier to manage later; if you wanted to change the style of the entire website, you wouldn't need to edit many different pages.  (Style sheets can give some flexibility to rework things with fewer edits, but a database makes it even more flexible.)

Just a thought, I wondered if you had entertained it yourself. Smiley
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »

I wouldn't know how to set up such an animal.  I had someone who did volunteer to do just what you outlined.  It was really shaping up nicely, too.  She was actually trying to get some experience and practice for a college course.  As I recall, it was php-based and quite extensive.  However, things fell apart after my site was hacked -- which eventually led to my moving to a new hosting service.  By the time everything got cleaned-up and working again, there were problems allowing multiple users into the MySQL database; the only way at the time was to give her my master password for the website (which I didn't want to do.)  By the time everything got set right, I lost contact with her -- and that, as they say, was that.

I just recently noticed the "Spell Checker" option is now available on this forum.  My host must have updated the Apache server software, as that was the only reason it wasn't working before.  Hmmmm...

mace

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:49 PM »

You could opt for one of the many PHP-based content management systems. Smiley

Using in/on my rig now:
MT-32 first gen, CM-64, SC-155, NEC DB60XG, Yamaha FB-01, AWE64 Gold, MPU-IPC-T
gortmertl0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:43:51 AM »

Assorted fixes and touchups for the website... I'm adding to the list as I discover items.

...and a likely minor nit here:

For the new QFG2VGA soundtrack, Track 16 - Music 39 "Thief's Theme 3 - Khaveen's Home" is attributed to 2 Quest For Glory 4: Shadows Of Darkness" by Aubrey Hodges.

Shouldn't it be 1 for Quest For Glory 1: So You Want To Be A Hero" by Mark Seibert?  (i.e., "The Kobold Cave" theme)

Thanks!

Gary
Boogeyman

Gotcha!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:47:07 AM »

Yeah, QFG4 used the Thief theme when in Nikolai's bedroom

Viva la revolucion!
Dianne Lewandowski
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »

I looked at the php contact management this morning.  I've got a whole bunch of balls I'm juggling at the moment.  As soon as I'm through, I'm going to look into this.  Also at Joomla.

A Home Site button will be coming soon.  I'm getting some coding info (this "skin" has a lot of different php files) from SMF - whose admin has been extremely helpful.  I really want to donate there.  We all should.  We use it every day and it is our home away from home.

NOW:  a couple questions

1.  Is this design too "slick and modern" for say a homeowner's association, rotary club, support group site?  Or do you think something more traditional?  I really love this theme but am concerned that the total look is a tad too contemporary - especially for those not so young.  Which brings me to:  Lots of themes are being developed that are quite dark.  How do you guys manage to read that stuff?

2.  Do any of you use Safari or Opera and would be willing to drive by a couple of pages for me to see if they are working properly (things lining up)?  I had a new skin for a gallery, got almost finished with the extensive graphics and discovered IE7 threw it off!  I was so disappointed.  Lots of hours down the drain.  The only positive was I really learned a lot in PhotoShop.  Wink
Boogeyman

Gotcha!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 04:21:58 AM »

Tom, where is it used in QFG4?

Viva la revolucion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: