Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PQ2 - track missing?  (Read 5884 times)
the_doctor

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »

I'm playing PQ2 right now and there is a music track playing when you're in Cotton Cove on the far left (where the blood/marks/trashcan are).  that isn't part of the soundtrack here ... did it get overlooked or is it combined with a different track?  i dont remember hearing it ...

EDIT: also noticed the little preamble before the Silver Commendation and the Ending Track is missing too ...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:58:09 AM by the_doctor » Logged
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 04:29:45 AM »

Hmmm....I'll take a look at it.

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:11:56 PM »

I believe they're in the MIDI files I sent Tom, I was under the impression only 'select tracks' were being used in the short CD. But I can't even remember- I must be working too hard.

- Alistair
the_doctor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 11:47:42 PM »

I know PQ2 is one that various people have been saying needs to be looked at again when they have the time (like anybody really has any nowadays) ... just wanted to mention that i noticed those particular pieces weren't in the version posted here now so they can be checked to see if they are worth it when the time comes ...
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »

The piece you're referring to I have labelled as 'Investigating Cotton Cove', and is pretty good.

I think there isn't much other missing music, although I'm sure there's a Sewers track. I'll have to find my track list in my archives.

Regards,
- Alistair
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 02:45:58 PM »

At present, I don't have any of those PQ2 files readily accessible.  And, of course, the old axiom will have to apply:  "...as soon as I have the time to delve into the soundtrack."  But I'm sure I have the 'MIDI' music files.

Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:34:36 PM »

I believe they're in the MIDI files I sent Tom, I was under the impression only 'select tracks' were being used in the short CD.

I just located that ZIP you sent me way-back-when (thanks again for that -- it really was helpfull), and "Investigating Cotton Cove" wasn't included.  There were thirteen '.SNG' files in that ZIP, and I used most of them -- and ended up posting 12 songs from the game.  I remember re-recording some of the tracks, too, which may be why my "Silver Commendation" track is edited to the primary theme, only.  (I didn't check the MIDI you sent, yet, to see if your version was longer.)  I'm off from work on Monday, so I'll check all of this.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 08:37:45 PM by Tom » Logged

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 02:12:47 PM »

It seems like only last week, or last month, or something- it's probably like 3 years ago.  Shocked
Kinda crazy.

Now I'm confused-
I just located that ZIP you sent me way-back-when (thanks again for that -- it really was helpfull), and "Investigating Cotton Cove" wasn't included.  There were thirteen '.SNG' files in that ZIP, and I used most of them -- and ended up posting 12 songs from the game.  I remember re-recording some of the tracks, too, which may be why my "Silver Commendation" track is edited to the primary theme, only.  (I didn't check the MIDI you sent, yet, to see if your version was longer.)  I'm off from work on Monday, so I'll check all of this.

Let me check to see my files, I don't think I have the ZIP anymore- In my PQ2 folder, there's 24 tracks. Maybe 5-6 are irrelevant, but the rest are definitely major themes.

Hang on- the Cotton Cove track is on your webpage, it's just called "The Jailer". Maybe "Investigating Cotton Cove (The Jailer)" could work.

Missing tracks:
- Steelton Sewers
- Helicopter Ride, when they're going to Steelton PD (assuming it's not a dupe of the PQ2 theme- I think it's a partial take)
- Closing Themes (Marie/Bains' Death/Closing)
- Falling in the Sewers (Death)- quite creepy!
- Airport Traffic/Death Theme (I think it's worth having, if just for the nostalgia!)

And 4 incidental pieces under 10 seconds that are not that important, including 3 seconds of the LSL theme when you meet Larry.

ZIP:
http://smc.sq7.org/assorted/pq2extra.rar

The extra sewers track, 'sewers2.mid', is (from memory) when you go through a gas pocket and the music gets more frenzied. But I'm not totally sure about that.

Ironically, not only am I off today also, but-

And, of course, the old axiom will have to apply:  "...as soon as I have the time to delve into the soundtrack."

You and me both, brother! I'm only working 60 plus hours Tongue I wish I had some time for the music, especially when we talk soundtracks like this.

Regards,
- Alistair
the_doctor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »

Ok The Jailer makes sense now because it is the body of the jailer you're looking for.  Lemme listen again.

edit: Oh it is!  The build-up on the start threw me off.  My bad!  I'll rename my copy based on Alistair's suggestion, that does make it a little clearer to where it is in the game ...

The helicopter ride is just a snippet from the main intro theme, i'd see why that's missing.  Not really adding anything unless you're going for full completeness.

Your closing theme sounds interesting, it includes names for stuff before the Commendation, I'll give that a listen and see if that includes the "preamble" i was referring to.

edit: your closing.mid does include the preamble (starts at 1:15) so is the stuff right before the Commendation track.  (which is a little goobered, it's got the "points earned" music jumbled in with some Bains music).  The music after the Commendation isn't in your set tho.

The death scenes -- i remember dying at airport, but i dont think i ever fell in the sewer.  Ew!!! Smiley

last edit: listened to those mids.  the sewers are missing, the "Under Steelton" track is not the sewer music.  The ending from close1.mid (at 1:15) would be nice to have for just before Commendation since it's the buildup to it (the rest is really short stuff), and the traffic would be cool.  You gotta have the Death Scene jingles!! Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:40:32 PM by the_doctor » Logged
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »

edit: your closing.mid does include the preamble (starts at 1:15) so is the stuff right before the Commendation track.  (which is a little goobered, it's got the "points earned" music jumbled in with some Bains music).  The music after the Commendation isn't in your set tho.
These are unedited tracks recorded from the game by myself, I uploaded the f or Tom to mess with if he gets a chance.

I would keep the points music though, it works in this scene.

The death scenes -- i remember dying at airport, but i dont think i ever fell in the sewer.  Ew!!!

Dude!! It's almost impossible to NOT fall into the sewers like 5 times.

Funfact- did you ever climb the ladder in the sewers and see Bains come at you?

last edit: listened to those mids.  the sewers are missing, the "Under Steelton" track is not the sewer music.  The ending from close1.mid (at 1:15) would be nice to have for just before Commendation since it's the buildup to it (the rest is really short stuff), and the traffic would be cool.  You gotta have the Death Scene jingles!!

Under Steelton is a QuestStudios MIDI on the PQ2 page, do you mean sewers.mid that I uploaded? If so, how isn't it the sewers music?

The closing themes should be about 45 seconds in length and IMO separate from the Silver award scene.

I'm off to mess with Larry 6 music Smiley

Regards,
- Alistair
the_doctor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »

well the pts music is playing at the same time as another cue ... i wouldnt be surprised if you guys could actually seperate them though!!

Somehow never fell in, but yes, I got killed by Bains with that bloody manhole just Saturday matter of fact.

Your sewers.mid is the sewers music, yes.  I meant that the QS Under Steelton would sound by name to be the sewers but it isn't.  your MIDs are the music I heard when Sonny was in the sewers.

And your closing mid is before Silver Comm. ... theres a track after that too that's the actual ending credits music that i'm pretty certain is not just the main theme over again.
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »

Yeah, it's called Caribbean Flight and is on the QS page.

- Alistair
the_doctor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »

OMG is it?  i feel stupid now, i was thinking that was the flight to Steelton and it was just named that because of the style of music.  thanks!
Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »

Huh Now, I'm confused.  Huh  But, I'll deal with it later.  THANKS for the new RAR file ------ !
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:53:46 PM by Tom » Logged

the_doctor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »

if i'm right, the two sewer mids and the closing mid from Alistair's RAR are "new".  oh and the traffic, its short but gives us the Death music.  the other stuff i was wondering about, you actually already had in the stuff you posted as the PQ2 soundtrack on QS - i was just dense and didn't realize I already had it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: