Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two modules sharing 1 usb midi cable. How to setup for midi sequencing?  (Read 2981 times)
jharris01

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:13:37 AM »

Is it possible? I got my SC-50 and MT-32 units setup for DOSBox gaming. The MT-32 connects with the SC-50's MIDI THRU and RCA mix inputs. The SC-50 connects to my computer via a USB MIDI cable and my soundcard's line input. I use the SC's "Mute All" when I want to use my MT-32.

That's fine for gaming, but I want to use them both for MIDI sequencing with Cakewalk. Is there a way to setup the units (maybe the MT-32) so they won't play the same midi channels? I know an extra MIDI cable will solve this problem, but I was wondering there was a temporary solution while I wait for it to arrive.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:14:45 AM by jharris01 » Logged

Cloudschatze

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:43:52 PM »

The Part/MIDI channel assignments can be set for both the SC-50 and MT-32 via SysEx, by which you can configure them both to not overlap. I'm not sure which version of Cakewalk you're using, but some versions can automatically load SysEx when starting new projects, otherwise, you ought to be able to combine the two strings into a single MIDI file, and play that beforehand.
jharris01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »

I am using version 3.0. It has sysex capability for multiple messages as well as the ability to auto sysex on file load. However it errors out every time it sysexs the MT-32. I'll probably need a newer version. Still I have no clue as to how to write a Sysex message. I don't know enough to do what you suggested. I think I read something on MT-32's manual on how to get it to listen to certain sysex traffic. I'll look it up again and read the SC-50's manual while I am at it.

I have the feeling by the time I figure it out the extra midi cable I ordered will have arrived in the mail.  Thank you for your help.

Cloudschatze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »

I have the feeling by the time I figure it out the extra midi cable I ordered will have arrived in the mail.

Smiley

How do you want everything assigned? I can probably come up with something for you.
jharris01

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:04:15 AM »

Thank you for the offer Cloudschatze. Can I take a rain check?

I am very interested in learning how to create my own sysex patches using cherry picked instruments from other Sierra patches. Is there any special knowledge or software tool to do this?

Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »

Using Dr.T's MT-32 Editor/Librarian will allow you to look at how Sierra created their patches.  It's what I used to modify a lot of Sierra's patches for use in my own music, way back when...

http://www.queststudios.com/roland/utilities/drtmt32.zip
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:51:56 PM by Tom » Logged

jharris01

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 12:36:08 AM »

Thanks for the tip. Dr. T runs under windows command prompt, but without a mouse it's very difficult to use. It works under DOSBox (with mouse support), but I am getting buffer overflows every time I try to send a sysex from Dr. T. The program can send a single timbre change fine, but if I try to transmit the whole sysex it errors out.

EDIT: Gino's LA Synth is working better for me (under windows xp). Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:50:46 AM by jharris01 » Logged

jharris01

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 01:30:11 AM »

Hey Tom how do you replace timbres using Dr. T? I can load sysex (I mean m32) files fine. I can load a bank from a sysex file then open a different file without losing said timbre. However I can't figure out how to replace a timbre with a different one. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:05:55 AM by jharris01 » Logged

Tom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »

You have to open two banks at once, then drag one timbre (from one bank) over the top of the timbre in the other bank you're replacing.  Think you have to click once the timbre is in position -- don't remember.  The program is not set up real good for doing that; the screen is too small and it's difficult -- you can't make the screen bigger, either. 

I much prefer using SpG's Librarian (DOS) for that kind of thing.  It's very simple to 'copy and paste' between two banks.  The only thing with SpG that might turn you off is that it'll save MT-32 banks in .B92 format, so you'll have to send the bank to your MT-32 when done ... then, download it using something that can save in .SYX format, as SpG doesn't.  SpG can transmit .SYX banks, but doesn't save in that format.  This isn't an issue with me because I do most of my music editing in SpG, so most of my bank manipulation is done with SpG.  (I haven't messed with creating new sounds for over a decade!  I don't remember how to use Dr.T's very well, anymore.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:34:50 PM by Tom » Logged

jharris01

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »

Where can I find SpG's Librarian? All I am interested in is to create my own sysex files replacing a few select timbres with Sierra ones (or the ones from LA-Synth's humongous database).

You have to open two banks at once, then drag one timbre (from one bank) over the top of the timbre in the other bank you're replacing.  Think you have to click once the timbre is in position -- don't remember.  The program is not set up real good for doing that; the screen is too small and it's difficult -- you can't make the screen bigger, either. 

I feel like a newbie right now. I am so used to Windows it didn't occur to me to simply click on each sysex file in the 'File Librarian' window. Now the bank windows overlap each other in such way I can't see the timbre I want to drag (just like you said). What a cumbersome program!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:14:41 PM by jharris01 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: