Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King's Quest VI Druid theme arrangement. -Check it out!  (Read 1184 times)
Trisk
Associate Member

Check out Prodigal, my sierra style horror game!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »

Hey all! A couple months ago I worked on a re-arrangement of the Archdruid theme from King's Quest VI, and wanted to share it with you all!

This is not a one to one remake, this is a re-arrange/re-composition of the original song to make it into a complete listening experience, instead of a 50 second loop.

I would also like to stress that I did NOT just take a midi file and remix it, I figured out each part listening to the version posted on here, then played it in. All new instruments and harmony lines are of my own design.

One thing of interest about this song to anybody who knows anything about music: I was shocked to discover that almost the entire thing is built on perfect fifths! The bass line is the ONLY part of this entire song that isn't perfect fifths, which is what gives the song its unique qualities. That was an interesting discovery for me.

Anyway, hope you like it! While you are on my website, check out some of my other arrangements of videogame songs, as well as some tunes/sound tracks I wrote myself!

King's Quest 6 Druids Theme Remix
http://www.prodigal-game.com/music/kings_quest_6_Druids.mp3

Link to the music page of my website:
http://www.prodigal-game.com/music.html
Mau1wurf1977

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »

I like it!

Thanks for sharing!
jharris01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:25:56 AM »

It's so electronica! So different and yet so familiar. Thanks!

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »

Trisk,

Thanks for sharing, I will have to check it out.

One thing to tell you- As I'm working on a version of the KQ6 soundtrack for my website, I'm using Tom (QuestStudios)' GM soundtrack, and I realised comparing to the in-game music resources, that the version of Arch Druid in the QS KQ6 GM score, like the version on his KQ6CD, is actually enhanced.
The original, in-game "Arch Druid" piece is a 20 second loop that has only the following instruments:
Nylon Guitar, Acoustic Bass, Taiko, Marimba.

All the strings, choirs, different octave notes, etc, in the enhanced piece are extra tracks Tom added to the piece to lengthen it already.

For your interest, here's the version I came up with, enhancing the original track, similar to Tom's final track (obviously drawing inspiration from it), but different.
http://sierramusiccentral.com/assorted/37ARCHDR.zip
(The final version will have better instrumentation than regular General MIDI, of course.)

Also, this isn't very important, but Chris Braymen composed the music, not Mark Seibert.

- Alistair
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:41:33 PM by Alistair » Logged
brentvw
Associate Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 02:08:25 AM »

Trisk,

Excellent track... sounds wonderful.
Trisk
Associate Member

Check out Prodigal, my sierra style horror game!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »

Thanks for the nice words... glad you all liked it! ^_^

Alistair- For real? It feels like I can remember all those other parts so vividly in my mind when playing the game! I certainly admit that I did use the MT-32 file off the site here... it just amazes me how memories can get twisted through the passage of time. Heehee.

So... I guess my song is a recomposition of a recomposition? What does that make it? A Re-re? XD Anyway, props therefore must go to Tom for making an excellent update to the song.

And... Chris Braymen? I don't remember where I got Mark Seibert. I guess I assumed he did all the soundtracks... I thought I looked it up, though! Did they share composing duties on KQ6, perchance? I thought I'd found who composed each song for all of my video game song conversions. That's crazy.
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »

Nah, Mark gets a mention because he:
a. Was head Music Director of the company at the time, and
b. Composed Cassima's theme in KQ5 which became the foundation of 'Girl In The Tower' in KQ6.

As for the rest, yeah, a re-re. I like that. Smiley It surprised me too, when I was editing the MIDI files recently to record the music. I was like, OK, that's that, where's the rest of it? And when I looked in Tom's updated version, I realised the extra tracks had just been altered copies of existing parts of the song. He's very very good at doing that..

Keep up the good work, and let us know if/when you do more.. Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: