Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Quest VII complete soundtrack  (Read 22926 times)
Marten
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2004, 03:49:24 AM »

My feeling is that if we were to host AdLib or SoundBlaster soundtracks, they should represent the highest sound quality available from the games from which they are recorded.  For example, the old Electronic Arts' "688 Attack Sub" had a nifty opening music piece for the AdLib.  As far as I know, there was no MT-32 or even General MIDI support.  So, the AdLib soundtrack might be appropriate in that case... if we were to host soundtracks of old EA games.  

Personally, I am happy with the niche that QuestStudios fills today, and there are other websites for AdLib soundtracks, or even C=64 soundtracks, for those who want them.  We could put them on the 'Links' for the front page, directing traffic in their direction, and perhaps that might relieve any pressure on QuestStudios to host such things.
HondaSiR

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2004, 10:09:06 AM »

Quote from: Marten
and there are other websites for AdLib soundtracks, or even C=64 soundtracks, for those who want them.  We could put them on the 'Links' for the front page, directing traffic in their direction, and perhaps that might relieve any pressure on QuestStudios to host such things.

Not a bad idea Marten! That would be an ideal thing to do in a situation such as this. Everybody gets their share of goodies, plus...other websites might also consider linking QuestStudios to their sites! Brilliant! Just think of some of the members there that are used to FM synths, then finding their way here and listening for the first time the wonders of wavetable synthesis. Man I'd like to see their reactions if they haven't heard of our music yet.
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2004, 10:12:29 AM »

What about Zeliard's soundtrack? It seems to have a very good AdLib soundtrack. In some case, IMO, even better than the MT-32's.

I feel like I'm diagonally-parked in a parallel universe
Fancia

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2004, 10:15:53 AM »

Quote from: Ari
What about Zeliard's soundtrack? It seems to have a very good AdLib soundtrack. In some case, IMO, even better than the MT-32's.

That would make sense... it was originally for PC-88, which has FM-based sound hardware. Converting to Adlib would be nearly 1:1 from the original version, while MT-32 would, naturally, require considerable rearrangement.

Bít zabít, jen proto, že su liška!
Zemus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2004, 11:10:25 AM »

Hosting the files in their native Adlib format wouldn't take too much space. There's an Adlib plugin for Winamp and also a player at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/adplug/
Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2004, 11:57:29 AM »

Quote from: Fancia

That would make sense... it was originally for PC-88, which has FM-based sound hardware. Converting to Adlib would be nearly 1:1 from the original version, while MT-32 would, naturally, require considerable rearrangement.

This logic doesn't always follow.. what about Sorcerian? The MT-32 tracks are from the original PC-88 game, but vastly improved and Adlib doesn't even compare. I ran both with my AWE32 on my old PC (using the AWE32 as an OPL2/3 and as a MPU-401 alternatively) and definitely the game sounds better 'orchestrated'. I've always found that with 'emotional' synth, it usually sounds better orchestrated than in 'raw' format.

Several tracks for a "comparison Sierra soundcard archive" is what I would like to see here at some point.

Yep, I second that. I love the LSL3 'SierraLand' comparison page. Be good to hear it expanded.

I wonder, did anybody ever buy the IBM Music Feature? I know AdLib's were a big seller when Sierra supported them, and they did okay with the MT-32, considering the price tag. But I never heard much about people using the IBM card. (Was it a card? I never even saw one.)

I've got some details in an old catalogue which I will dig out if requested, but otherwise I asked the same question about 6 weeks ago. Here's the relevant thread at the SQ.Net forums:
http://forum.spacequest.net/viewtopic.php?t=603&start=15

My feeling is that if we were to host AdLib or SoundBlaster soundtracks, they should represent the highest sound quality available from the games from which they are recorded.

Which is a good reason, as Tom alluded to, not to create such a section in the first place. But I think we're reading way too much into this at any rate. Boogeyman never requested QS become Adlib, I'd attribute his Adlib recordings for offer being related more to ignorance about Roland devices being the standard for Sierra compositions than actual faith in the Adlib music itself. You'd think it was alright if you'd never heard a MT-32 or Sound Canvas piece (which most KQ7 users *would* have, or at least a GM piece, close enough).

The issue here for me is that in no way would I consider a KQ7 soundtrack recorded from anything except Roland devices as worthy of my ears. (As the odds of someone recording it fom XG or a live orchestra are rather minimal.) I could guess this guy was in no way going to produce either of the desired results.
I was enjoying recording from this game, it's fun to try and emulate Tom's success with orchestrating KQ6, for KQ7. I can't do KQ6, since Tom's covered it quite nicely, but KQ7 I can.
And there's a really good spread of music types in KQ7.
I'm sure people who want KQ7's music will be pleased when I finish recording later this year. Won't be much deviated from the SC-55 score, with MT-32 and ED thrown in for the bargain (same as I handle all SC-55 soundtracks for soundtrack CD's).

- Alistair
Laust

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2004, 12:19:25 PM »

Or more likely, Sierra didn't do the conversion to OPL FM but the Japanese programmers/musicians did. Sorcerian was FM based too, and look at the mess Sierra made of that Adlib conversion. Silpheed wasn't too hot either...
Laust

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2004, 02:13:38 PM »

Quote from: Alistair
I wonder, did anybody ever buy the IBM Music Feature? I know AdLib's were a big seller when Sierra supported them, and they did okay with the MT-32, considering the price tag. But I never heard much about people using the IBM card. (Was it a card? I never even saw one.)

I've got some details in an old catalogue which I will dig out if requested, but otherwise I asked the same question about 6 weeks ago. Here's the relevant thread at the SQ.Net forums:
http://forum.spacequest.net/viewtopic.php?t=603&start=15

The thread doesn't actually say what the IBM Music Feature Card is, but it shows how half hearted  Sierra's support for the card (or should I say anything but the MT-32) was. The SQ3 intro tune is just horrible (and to be honest I think it's buggy, I can't believe Sierra would ship a game with a high pitched almost deafning flute instrument like that.)

The IMFC was a "higher-end" card, based on the YM2164 chip which both Yamaha and Korg used in synthesizers as well. It's an evolution of the venerable YM2151 chip that was the mainstay in arcade/coin up machines  from the mid 80's to the early 90's (although ususally coupled with a sample-playback chip for drums and such). Four operators, 8 voices, stereo (hard left/right, no panning). Calling it low-end isn't fair; it's not comparable to Yamaha's high-end professoinal six operator FM synthesizers of course, but it can more than hold its own against the OPL chip on the Adlib card Smiley

The IMFC failed due to the high price and diffculty in use (for musicians, and this is going by what I've read since I haven't actually got the card myself). I'm sure not being Adlib compatible didn't exactly help either...

I used to have some sample Yamaha FB-01 tunes (same synth chip) which more accurately showed its capabilities, but I forget where I put them.
Ari
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2004, 04:49:49 PM »

I recorded Zeliard's Title theme a while ago using my Adlib Gold.
Now, I did not realize it at the time, but because I daisy chained it to my Yamaha SW60XG card's line-in, it got the card's reverb and chorus effects even though I did not intend that to happen.

Anyway, I think this is one example of what you can do with an AdLib.
The quality isn't very high - only 96kbps.

I feel like I'm diagonally-parked in a parallel universe
Fancia

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2004, 08:07:10 PM »

This logic doesn't always follow.. what about Sorcerian? The MT-32 tracks are from the original PC-88 game, but vastly improved and Adlib doesn't even compare. I ran both with my AWE32 on my old PC (using the AWE32 as an OPL2/3 and as a MPU-401 alternatively) and definitely the game sounds better 'orchestrated'. I've always found that with 'emotional' synth, it usually sounds better orchestrated than in 'raw' format.

Sorcerian was made by Falcom, a different company. The game was released both on PC-88 and the superior PC-98, which supported external MIDI. I'd posit that Falcom wrote the soundtrack for MT-32, then downgraded to the PC-98's and PC-88's built-in FM hardware. (Sorcerian was also released in 1988, one year after Zeliard's 1987 release, which may also account for technological differences.)

By the way, for anyone curious, the PC-88 uses a YM-2608 and the PC-98 a YM-2203.

Alistair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2004, 11:11:58 PM »

I doubt Falcom composed it for the MT-32; why would Allen/Atesalp have to convert for Sierra, then? Obviously they didn't, and composed it for FM synthesis.

- Alistair
Fancia

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2004, 12:16:35 AM »

I doubt Falcom composed it for the MT-32; why would Allen/Atesalp have to convert for Sierra, then? Obviously they didn't, and composed it for FM synthesis.

- Alistair

Ah, sorry. I hadn't realized that that was the case. Yes, I suppose it must have been for the builtin FM only.

Boogeyman

Gotcha!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2004, 04:50:48 PM »

Did you in fact ever get my rip from Hardhouse's server?

Viva la revolucion!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: