I know that this is a quite old topic, but I haven't seem them until now (I've been very busy) and I'd like to put my opinion.
Well, I think that my dream machine actually exists, and it's called Fantom XR
All the instruments I've heard from it are astounding, but sadly I haven't got the 1400 euro that it costs
. I've only been able to get a second-hand XV-2020, a kind of 'little brother', but it's nevertheless very good and I like it in virtually all aspects.
Setting aside Fantom/XV stuff, I ¡'d like a lot a machine with the following:
* MT-32 100% compatibility. This is a MUST. Perhaps the MT-32 is not the best sounding module ever, but I think it's simply non-replaceable due its own unique character. And no, it's not enough to get a MT-32 sound map. It has to be a 'real' MT-32.
* High-end Roland module's pianos (far better than Yamaha's and Korg's) and most "acoustic" instruments.
* Korg's (NS5R) electric pianos (brilliant!) and some 'synthy' and 'belly' stuff. Also some percussion kits (they are POWERFUL!).
* Yamaha's DSP effects, the best I've heard so far.
* Some CM-32P/CM-64 sounds (pianos, slap basses, chorus, brass). Also most PCM cards are astounding (the best pipe organ, harpsichord and saxes I've heard. Also excellent electric guitars and orchestral strings).
* Some FM (DX7-style) stuff, to add a bit of color and originality.
* 128-voice polyphony, more than one midi-in and out, and at least one line-in.
As long as a machine like that does not exist, I'll keep on dreaming of getting a Fantom some day